I had the pleasure of taking a 4 day mancation hosted by TMTorn Adventures. It was wildly educational and intense fun in a relaxed and super safe atmosphere. I learned effective combat techniques, shot lots of guns, rode ATVs & dirt bikes and enjoyed great food and drinks during the all inclusive getaway at their camp. Read more
I have lived in and around Denver for a few years now and have really come to love it. Z and I intend on settling down here eventually after we explore some other places the world has to offer but before I moved away I figured a short post about what I love about Denver is in order.
And the camping season begins! I’m excited to make an effort to visit as many of the Colorado state parks as we can this year. We started with Lake Pueblo State Park Camp Ground.
Laila coordinated and sponsored our Team Super Geeks for The Great Candy Run of 2015! We had a GREAT time! From left to right on the picture below our team are the adults in costume!
- Josh (Super Banana)
- Z (Boba Fett)
- Loli (was the mascott for the run, he wasn’t on our team persay. lol)
- Laila (Super Women)
- Crystal (Sugar Rush)
We even entered in the Costume contest and the banana suit won best adult costume! Our team was in the contest for best team costumes but we cheered louder for the kids in the same competition so they won. It was rated by loudness of cheers. lol. ^_^
- 5 Green Plantains
- Coconut Oil
- 2 Pounds ground pork
- 3 Tablespoons onion powder
- 2 Tablespoons dried oregano
- 3 Teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 Lime - Juiced
- Shaved deli ham
- Dijon Mustard
- Dill Pickles (sliced)
- Swiss Cheese (optional)
- Peel the plantains and slice into 2-inch-thick rounds.
- Boil plantain rounds until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Smash the plantains flat.
- In a skillet, melt a few tablespoons of coconut oil over medium-high heat.
- Fry flattened plantains until brown and crispy, about 3 minutes per side.
- Place all ingredients in a bowl.
- Use your hands to mix everything together thoroughly.
- Form the burgers roughly the same size as the plantain buns.
- Cook the burgers in the skillet, adding more oil if needed, about 5 minutes per side.
- (For a smoky and vibrant flavor, grill the patties over an open flame instead of in the skillet.)
- To assemble, place a bun on a plate, top with a burger patty, shaved deli ham, pickles, mustard and cap off with another plantain bun.
I don’t have a real intimate knowledge of construction but I am interested in seeing through the construction of my own home and in doing so I want a very bio-friendly home so I picked up this book from the library and read it through.
It starts out with a lot of bright colored diagrams that identify the core elements of different eco-friendly home design elements such as bioclimatic design, roof gardens, geo-thermal installations, wind / solar energy systems, gray-water re-use and more. The diagrams are good enough to get an understanding of resources that come together to follow these eco-friendly designs and perhaps more useful to me was being able to absorb the new vocabulary which helps lead to more research and learning. They are however not detailed enough to completely understand and/or implement the diagrams.
ECO HOUSE then dives in to review some bio friendly building materials, general home heating and cooling practices (south facing facade, greenhouse effect in winter and shade from eaves in the summer), water use and re-use. Overall it does a good job of bringing me from knowing very little about bio-friendly homes to knowing a lot of very basic concepts, patterns materials and tools.
ECO HOUSE doesn’t at first make very much sense when I was reading it through from front to back but it’s filled with pictures (almost every paragraph of text in the book is explaining an adjacent photo) and tidbits of useful information that all comes together after a few times through the book.
In conclusion: If you’re brand new to eco-friendly home design and function or better yet, if you’re new to construction entirely and want to learn a lot of very basic information to get started understanding the inner workings and thought process behind eco-homes then ECO HOUSE: Practical Ideas for a Greener, Healthier Dwelling is worth checking out. It follows the title quite well, the book covers a lot of ‘practical ideas for a greener, healthier dwelling’.
- 2 Cups Half & Half (or Milk)
- 8 Eggs
- 1/2 Cup Cheddar Cheese
- 1/2 Cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1/4 Cup Green Onions
- 1/4 Cup Crumbled Bacon
- 3/4 Cup Spinach
- Salt (to taste)
- Pepper (to taste)
- Preheat Oven to 350 degrees.
- Fry & Crumble Bacon.
- Chop Vegetables.
- Shred Cheese.
- Beat all ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Grease 9x13 Pyrex cake-pan.
- Pour ingredients in to cake-pan.
- Bake @ 350 Degrees for 40 minutes (or until done). Poke with a fork or tooth pick to test done-ness. When removing the fork/toothpick there should not be any wet material stuck to it (like testing a cake)